BACHELOR’S PROGRAMME IN BIOLOGY
Study language: Georgian
Amount of allocated ECTS: 240 ECTS
Awarded qualification/degree: Bachelor of Biology
Admission Type: Individual Admission
About the program
The undergraduate program in Biology at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Medicine was renewed in 2020 to improve the learning process.
After completing the bachelor's program, the graduate will know the structure of cells and living organisms, the peculiarities of animal life, the laws of heredity and variability, vital processes in living organisms, their physiological characteristics, basic functions and mechanisms underlying animal life; the student will also gain knowledge of the basics of biosecurity and basic methods of laboratory research.
In addition, the program includes a bachelor's general module aimed at developing oral and written communication, analysis, argumentation, problem assessment, creative problem solving, and effective teamwork skills.
Aim of the program
The program aims to give the student a broad state-of-the-art knowledge in biology, teach them the structure and functions of living organisms, the peculiarities of their growth, distribution, origin, and development; Develop the research, ethical and practical skills necessary for laboratory and academic work.
Main areas of study
The major courses for biology students are Botany, Zoology, Fundamentals of Chemistry, Human and Animal Physiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Virology, Biosafety, and Biological Protection.
- Has knowledge of a wide range of biological sciences, knowledge of basic theories and concepts of biology;
- Knows and applies the principles of taxonomy and classification of living things;
- Can identify and analyze the structure and characteristics of cells and living organisms;
Understands the basic metabolic processes that define the existence of the organism and its relationship with the outside world;
- Can solve the regularities and molecular mechanisms of heredity and variability, vital processes in living organisms, their physiological characteristics, basic functions, and mechanisms that define the organism;
- Can describe/explain the basic types of cells and their functions, biological phenomena of cell metabolism, growth and development of the organism;
- Can use different types of laboratory research methods according to pre-defined instructions;
- Can identify important issues, problems in the field, implement research projects in various fields of biology according to pre-defined recommendations, instructions, and guidelines, and can use appropriate tools and adhere to the norms of academic honesty and bioethics;
- Can collect and explain data on biological processes, analyze information, synthesize, conduct quantitative and qualitative evaluation, draw informed conclusions;
- Can prepare a theoretical and/or practical research report on the issues of biological processes, existing problems, and ways to solve them;
- Present to specialists and non-specialists in both Georgian and English using modern communication technologies and sectoral terminology.
- Practical method
- Laboratory method
- Group work
- Demonstrative method
- Research type project
- Laboratories of various purposes (chemical, biochemical, genetics, clinical);
- Chemical, Medical, Veterinary, Agrarian, Biotechnological, Pharmaceutical, food and perfume enterprises;
- Educational and scientific-research institutions of the relevant profile;
- Zoos, botanical gardens, and museums;
- Sector related to environmental protection and use of natural resources;
- Environmental non-governmental and international organizations;
- General education schools (in case of passing the program MSMP, one-year teacher training education).
Structure of the study program
To receive a bachelor's degree, the student must accumulate 240 ECTS.
|Title of the Module||ECTS|
|Additional specialization/free component||60|
Admission procedures and Exams
If you wish to study Biology at Ilia State University, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Medicine you need to select Ilia State University Academic Programs’ blog (individual admission) at NAEC webpage with the code 010127 and pass Unified National Exams.
Exams to pass at the Unified National Exams and Qualification Requirements
- Georgian Language and Literature
- Foreign Language (German, English, Russian, French)
➳Cholokashvili Ave N3/5
☏ (+995 32) 222 00 09 (134)