The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade
In 1 Act
Is it possible to get an all-embracing equality through revolution? Is revolution a path which brings liberty and fraternity and makes our wishes come true? These are the matters that the main character of the play, the Marquis de Sade is eager to resolve when staging an experimental performance with the patients of Charenton Mental Asylum. The result he gets is quite unexpected.
Young director Saba Aslamazishvili also took a path of an experiment for his debut performance and staged in not in a traditional setting but in the theatre foyer. For two hours Iliauni Theatre will don the garments of Charenton Asylum and the actors through reviving the adventures of the French Revolution together with the audience will try to find answers to the questions still so vital today.
Nominated for the 2018 Tsinandali Award.
The author: Peter Weiss
- Jean-Paul Marat – Bacho Chachibaia
- Marquis de Sade – Amiran Kachibaia
- Charlotte Corday – Annie Imnadze
- Simonne Evrard – Aniko Shurghaia
- Coulmier – Giviko Baratashvili
- Duperret – Vladimer Vashakidze
- Jacques Roux –Constantine Ejibashvili
- Herald – Andrea Vachridze
- Nurse – Liko Zarnadze,
- Nursing Aid – Luka Akhaladze
- Inmates – Tornike Kakulia,Gaga Arabuli, Paata Babluani,George Makadze, Mariam Balakhadze,Elene Dabrundashvili
First Performance 10 May 2018
Performance was staged through financial support of Tbilisi Municipality.
Time: December 4, 16, 20:00
Duration: 110 minutes, without intermission