Education of a primary school teacher (I-VI grades)
Study language: Georgian
Amount of necessary credits: 300 ECTS
Awarded qualification/degree: Master of Education
Admission contingent: 50
Code in NAEC registry: 0100115
Admission Type: Individual Admission
About the program
An integrated undergraduate-graduate program in primary teacher education has been developed in 2018.
The program focuses on the development of students' research skills, which based on pedagogical practice research will help them improve the quality of teaching and learning and in professional development.
In addition, the program is aimed at developing the necessary transfer skills for the teacher, such as effective oral and written communication in Georgian and English, quantitative reasoning and critical thinking skills, the ability to work effectively in a team, identify the problems and solve them independently and effectively.
Aim of the program
The aim of the program is to prepare a primary school teacher (grades 1-6) of Georgian language and literature, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences, who has the relevant theoretical knowledge, practical skills and values for a successful professional activity and steps up to the modern teacher requirements.
The objectives and learning outcomes of the program are in line with the teacher's higher education sectoral demands, to the subjects of the teacher's professional standard, and the requirements for the chief teacher.
Main areas of study
The main area of the study program is to learn about the peculiarities of school-age children and the psychology of education. The student is introduced to modern approaches to teaching and the peculiarities of classroom management and communication.
In addition, the following subjects are taught: Georgian language lexicology, Georgian language teaching methods, children's literature, literacy strategies, elementary mathematics, natural sciences, basics of history and geography and social sciences.
Knowledge and understanding
The graduate of the program will have:
- The knowledge of the Georgian language and literature, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences (grades 1-6) relevant to the teacher’s professional standard of the relevant subject;
- The knowledge of basic theories of personality, development and education.
- The ability to plan, manage, and evaluate student-centered long-term and short-term learning processes based on national goals of general education, national curriculum, school priorities, and student needs;
- The knowledge of the basic principles of identifying special educational needs and creating the universal design, the ability to maximize the capabilities of students with special educational needs, their involvement in the learning process and integration into the classroom;
- The knowledge of the role and importance of extracurricular activities for student motivation, learning and multifaceted development;
- The basic approaches to planning, conducting and analyzing pedagogical practice research and realize the need to use research results to improve the quality of their professional development and teaching-learning;
Application of knowledge in practice
Program graduate will be able to:
- Effectively use subject knowledge in teaching;
- Effectively use knowledge of theories of personality, development and education to create a safe, free and motivating learning environment conducive to each student's physical, social-emotional or cognitive development;
- Develop long-term and short-term curricula based on the national goals of the general education, national curriculum, school priorities and student needs, based on which the learning process is conducted and evaluated;
- Create and use an individual curriculum for students with special educational needs in order to create a positive and safe learning environment and for their social-emotional or cognitive development in cooperation with a special teacher and consultation with him/her and/or with the involvement of relevant specialists;
- Plan and conduct extracurricular activities taking into account the interests and abilities of students;
- Based on the specifics of the research issue, select the appropriate research method, conduct research, plan, implement and evaluate interventions based on the analysis of research results and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Lecture / seminar
- Discussion and debate
- Individual, pair and group work methods
- Case Study
- Teaching through projects
- Teaching with cognitive diagrams
- Feedback methods
- Pedagogical practice
- Observation, analysis, reflection on pedagogical practice
- Methods of working on sources
- Laboratory work
- Problem-based teaching methods, etc.
A graduate may be employed:
- As a senior teacher of Georgian language and literature, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences in private and public schools (grades 1-6 if the conditions for entering the teaching profession are met,
- In training centers.
Graduates of the program can continue their studies at the doctoral level.
Structure of the study program
In order to complete the program, the student must accumulate:
- From the general module - 42 credits;
- From the Pedagogy-Psychology block - 48 credits;
- From the subject and subject methodology block - 141 credits
- From an independent school practice block - 27 credits;
- From the research block - 42 credits